Video Submission Contest Official Rules
NO PURCHASE NECESSARY TO ENTER OR WIN. “SHARING,” “LIKING,” “RETWEETING,” OR OTHERWISE LINKING TO OR FORWARDING THE CONTEST INFORMATION ON SOCIAL MEDIA, VIA EMAIL, OR IN ANY OTHER ONLINE OR OFFLINE MANNER IS NOT A REQUIREMENT OR PART OF THIS CONTEST AND WILL NOT IMPROVE YOUR CHANCES OF WINNING.
This Contest is being conducted solely in the State of Texas.
1. ELIGIBILITY. The "What I LOVE About Sugar Land" Contest” ("Contest") is open and offered only to legal residents of the State of Texas who are 18 years of age or older. Do not enter this Contest if at the time of entry you are not a resident of the State of Texas who is 18 years of age or older. You can enter the Contest as an individual or as a team of up to three (3) members. Teams with individuals who do not meet the age and residency requirements will be disqualified, and their submissions will be void. For purposes of these Official Rules, individuals and teams who submit Contest entries will collectively be referred to as "Entrants.” City of Sugar Land officers, employees, or their immediate family members (spouses and children or siblings by blood or marriage) of City of Sugar Land are eligible to submit a video for possible inclusion in the compilation video, but not eligible for other prizes, apart from attendance at the Video Compilation premier. In order to be eligible for prize consideration, apart from inclusion in the Compilation Video and attendance at its premier, those assisting in the creation or submission of a Contest video cannot be employees of the City of Sugar Land or immediate family members (spouses and children or siblings by blood or marriage) of City of Sugar Land employees. The Contest is subject to all Federal and state laws and regulations, as well as the rules dictating YouTube submissions.
2. SPONSOR/ADMINISTRATOR. The Contest is sponsored and administered by the City of Sugar Land, 2700 Town Center Blvd. North, Sugar Land, Texas 77479 (the “Sponsor”).
3. AGREEMENT TO OFFICIAL RULES. By participating, Entrants agree to abide by and be bound by these Official Rules and the decisions of the Sponsor, which are final and binding in all matters relating to the Contest. Being selected for inclusion in the Sponsor’s official 60th Anniversary “What I LOVE About Sugar Land” video compilation (the “Video Compilation”), to attend the Video Compilation premiere, and eligibility to win another prize, are contingent upon fulfilling all requirements set forth herein.
4. HOW TO ENTER. The Contest begins at 9:00 a.m. Central Standard Time (CST) on Friday, November 15, 2019 and ends at 11:59 p.m. (CST) on Sunday, December 20, 2019 (“Contest Period”). Review these Official Rules, upload your video to YouTube (note: all uploaded videos must be set to public or unlisted), then visit and submit the entry form to complete your entry. Only one entry per person or team will be counted.
Entries will be considered ineligible if, at the sole discretion of the Sponsor, they do not follow the directions described in these Official Rules, or if they contain language or images that are in any way threatening, abusive, offensive, defamatory, invasive of another's privacy, in breach of confidence, embarrassing to any person or likely to deceive any person, hateful, blasphemous, pornographic, or racially, ethnically or otherwise objectionable or which constitutes or encourages conduct that would be considered a criminal offense or otherwise contrary to any law or appear contrary to the spirit of the Contest.
The Sponsor is not responsible for late or unsuccessful attempts to enter. The Sponsor reserves the right to allow for minor fluctuations between the timing of an entry and the actual runtime of the Contest, based on clear intent to comply with the Official Rules, as determined in the Sponsor’s sole discretion.
By submitting an entry, each Entrant warrants and represents that he or she consents to the submission and use of the entry in the Contest, and to the Sponsor possibly posting information of the entry on its internet sites in connection with the Contest.
5. PURPOSE AND SELECTION. The Contest is designed to give people ages 18 and up a chance to tell the world what they LOVE about Sugar Land, Texas. Members of the Sponsor’s Office of Communications and Community Engagement staff will review all eligible submissions posted on YouTube and will select the videos that will be featured in the Video Compilation. Winners will be selected based on the following factors:
- Message and appropriateness to theme;
- Creativity and originality; and
- Overall presentation.
The Sponsor will rank the winning submissions based on the factors above, and prizes will be awarded based on those rankings.
6. SUBMISSION CONTENT AND FORMAT. Entrants will explain what they LOVE about Sugar Land in a video. The video can be as simple as a shot of you explaining or showing why you love Sugar Land, or as elaborate as an animation showing why you love Sugar Land. It's up to you! But the video must be produced by you, the Entrant, be about why you love Sugar Land, and meet all video length requirements.
a. Videos must be filmed in widescreen (no vertical video will be accepted) and may be entered in one of two categories:
- 10 seconds or less: tell us or show us what you LOVE about Sugar Land by submitting a video that is no more than 10 seconds long; or
- Up to one (1) minute: show us what you LOVE about Sugar Land in us through a combination of words and images by submitting a complete, edited video that is up to one (1) minute in length.
b. Videos must NOT contain:
- Material that violates or infringes on another’s rights including, but not limited to, privacy, publicity, and intellectual property;
- A focus on brand names or trademarks;
- Copyrighted material (such as music tracks, snippets of copyrighted programs) without necessary authorizations;
- Material that is inappropriate, indecent, obscene, hateful, defamatory, slanderous, or libelous;
- Material that promotes bigotry, racism, hatred, or harm against any group or individual or promotes discrimination based on race, sex, religion, nationality, disability, sexual orientation, or age;
- Material that is unlawful, in violation of, or contrary to the laws or regulations of the United State of America; or
- Visual or verbal mention of any websites other than the City of Sugar Land official website (www.sugarlandtx.gov).
c. Amateur videos are welcomed. Entrants may use any type of video device to record videos, but all videos must be filmed in the widescreen or horizontal screen orientation.
d. Videos can be in any style (e.g., testimonial, comedy, drama, documentary, animated, still art, or live action).
e. Videos can be in any language, but must have English subtitles if not in English.
f. Videos can show logos, organizations, or institutions if the display is incidental and not promotional. All decisions as to whether such display rises to the level of promotion will be determined by Sponsor’s staff on a case-by-case basis.
g. By submitting a video, the Entrant represents and warrants that:
- The Entrant has obtained permission from each person whose name, image, likeness, or voice (“Likeness”) is included in the submission, and that such person(s) have granted the Entrant all necessary rights to use the person’s Likeness as described in these rules, and that the Entrant can make written copies of such permissions available to the Sponsor upon request.
- If the Likeness of a minor (under 18 years old as of June 2, 2010) is included, the minor’s parent or legal guardian has authorized the use of the minor’s Likeness on behalf of the minor.
h. If your video is selected to be featured in the Video Compilation, you grant the City of Sugar Land an irrevocable, royalty-free license to copy, distribute, modify, display, perform publicly, otherwise use, and authorize others to use, the video for City purposes.
i. The Contest is subject to all Federal and state laws and regulations, as well as the rules dictating YouTube submissions.
j. The Entrant has read and abided by all the rules of this Contest.
k. Video entries that do not comply with these Official Rules will not be considered
7. SUBMITTING YOUR VIDEO. Videos should be posted on YouTube. All uploaded videos must be viewable under the public or unlisted settings. You will need to have a YouTube account in order to do this. Here’s how:
a. If you don’t have one already, create a free YouTube account via Google by:
- Visiting www.youtube.com
- Click “Sign In” in the top right of the screen
- Then clicking “Create Account,” and
- Follow the prompts.
b. Once you have an account, your video must should follow the preferred video guidelines listed here: https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/1722171 and must be viewable under the public or unlisted settings.
c. The Sponsor is not responsible for technical problems on the host site (YouTube/Google).
d. Entrants must comply with the technical and all other requirements of YouTube. Go to the YouTube Help page for more information at: www.google.com/support/youtube.
e. By uploading your video onto the YouTube Web site, you attest that you have read and agree to comply with these Official Rules.
f. NOTE: Save your video in the original format after uploading it to YouTube. If your submission is selected to be featured in the City’s compilation video, you may be asked to provide us with your submission in its original format.
8. WINNER NOTIFICATION AND ANNOUNCEMENT. Winners, as determined by members the Sponsor’s Office of Communications and Community Engagement staff, will be notified by E-mail (via the E-mail account used to sign in to YouTube) on or about December 20-23, 2019, and will be required to respond (as directed) to the notification attempt. The failure to respond timely to the notification may result in forfeiture of participation in the Contest.
9. POSTING OF VIDEO COMPILATION. All Entrants whose videos are selected to be featured in the Video Compilation will have their video featured in the Compilation Video posted on the City’s official website, www.sugarlandtx.gov, and the City’s Official social media (including, but not limited to, Facebook and YouTube) pages.
10. PRIZES. The primary prizes for this Contest are inclusion of entered video in the Compilation Video and an invitation to its premier. However, in addition to being selected for inclusion in the Compilation Video, the three (3) top ranking winners will each win four (4) tickets to an upcoming show at the Smart Financial Centre at Sugar Land. Approximately a dozen “swag” bags containing various City of Sugar Land 60th Anniversary-themed items will be distributed to the remaining winners based on their rankings, until all available swag bags have been distributed.
Winners cannot assign or transfer a prize to another person. No prize substitution or changes are allowed except at the discretion of the Sponsor. Prizes cannot be substituted or redeemed for cash. All prizes are subject to availability. If a prize or any portion of a prize cannot be awarded due to circumstances beyond the control of the Sponsor, a substitute prize may be awarded; provided, however, that if prizes are awarded but unclaimed/forfeited by a winner, that prize may or may not be re-awarded in Sponsor’s sole discretion. Other restrictions may apply. Limit one prize per person, per household. Prize is provided "as is" without warranty of any kind. Winner is responsible for any loss of prize or portion of prize after it has been delivered.
All prizes will be distributed during business hours at Sugar Land City Hall between the hours of 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., Monday through Friday and must be picked up by a deadline specified by the Sponsor at the time of notification of the prize to the Entrant or his/her designee.
11. VIDEO COMPILATION PREMIER. Content creators who are featured in the Compilation Video will be invited to a special video premier event in Sugar Land in January 2019 and will have all or part of their video showcased as a part of the compilation video on the Sponsor’s official website and social media channels. For each Entrant, no more than two (2) tickets to the video premier event will be provided; for teams with up to three (3) Entrants, a maximum of six (6) tickets will be provided for the video premier event. In no event will more tickets than outlined in these Official Rules be awarded.
12. WINNER LIST. For a list of winners, available after January 1, 2020, send a self-addressed, stamped envelope for receipt by March 31, 2020, to: Winners List, "What I LOVE About Sugar Land", c/o the Office of Communications and Community Engagement, 2700 Town Center Blvd. N, Sugar Land, TX 77479.
13. PRIZE CONDITIONS. BY ACCEPTING ANY PRIZE, WINNER AGREES TO RELEASE THE SPONSOR FROM ANY AND ALL LIABILITY WHATSOEVER FOR ANY INJURIES, LOSSES, OR DAMAGES OF ANY KIND CAUSED BY ENTERING THE CONTEST OR FOR DAMAGES OF ANY KIND CAUSED BY ANY PRIZE OR RESULTING FROM ACCEPTANCE, POSSESSION, OR USE/MISUSE OF PRIZE AWARDED. All local, state and federal taxes are solely the responsibility of the winner and/or any other fees/costs associated with the receipt of any prize. Sponsor is not responsible for any service provider fees that may apply. No substitution or transfer of a prize or election of cash in lieu of prize or of a lower ARV than stated will be permitted. The Sponsor reserves the right at its sole discretion to substitute any prize with another prize of equal or greater value in the event that the prize (or any component thereof) is not available. The winner will be required to sign an Affidavit of Eligibility and Liability/Publicity Release (the “Affidavit”) to be returned within seven (7) days of written notification, or the prize may be forfeited and an alternate winner selected. If a prize or prize notification is returned as unclaimed or undeliverable to a potential winner, if a potential winner cannot be reached within three (3) calendar days from the first notification attempt, or if a potential winner fails to return requisite documents within the specified time period, or if a potential winner is not in compliance with these Official Rules, then such person shall be disqualified and an alternate winner will be selected for the prize at issue. If requested, the winner will also be required to disclose his/her social security number and address via a Form W-9 for the purpose of issuance of a 1099 Form for tax purposes. The winner may elect not to sign the Affidavit. However, refusal to sign the Affidavit constitutes rejection of the prize and an alternate winner will be selected. All taxes, if applicable, are the sole responsibility of the winner. The winner’s entry, and acceptance of the prize offered constitutes permission for the Sponsor to use the winner’s name, photograph, likeness, statements, biographical information, voice and address (city and state), in all forms of media, in perpetuity, without notice or compensation.
14. GENERAL CONDITIONS. If for any reason the operation or administration of this Contest is impaired or incapable of running as planned for any reason, including but not limited to (a) infection by computer virus or bugs, (b) tampering, unauthorized intervention, (c) fraud, (d) technical failures, or (e) any other causes beyond the control of the Sponsor which corrupt or affect the administration, security, fairness, integrity or proper conduct of this Contest, the Sponsor reserves the right at its sole discretion, to disqualify any individual who tampers with the entry process, and to cancel, terminate, modify or suspend the Contest in whole or in part, at any time, without notice, and award prizes using all non-suspect eligible entries received as of, or after (if applicable) this cancellation, termination, modification or suspension date, or in any manner that is fair and equitable and best conforms to the spirit of these Official Rules. Sponsor reserves the right, at its sole discretion, to disqualify any individual deemed to be (a) tampering or attempting to tamper with the entry process or the operation of the Contest or Sponsor’s website; or (b) acting in violation of these Official Rules or in an unsportsmanlike or disruptive manner. CAUTION: ANY ATTEMPT TO DELIBERATELY DAMAGE ANY WEBSITE OR UNDERMINE THE LEGITIMATE OPERATION OF THE CONTEST MAY VIOLATE CRIMINAL AND CIVIL LAWS AND SHOULD SUCH AN ATTEMPT BE MADE, THE SPONSOR RESERVES THE RIGHT TO SEEK DAMAGES (INCLUDING ATTORNEY’S FEES) OR OTHER REMEDIES FROM ANY SUCH PERSON (S) RESPONSIBLE FOR THE ATTEMPT TO THE FULLEST EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW. Failure by the Sponsor to enforce any provision of these Official Rules shall not constitute a waiver of that provision. In the event of a dispute as to the identity of a winner based on an e-mail address, the winning entry will be declared by the authorized account holder of the e-mail address submitted at time of entry. "Authorized account holder" is defined as the natural person who is assigned to an e-mail address by an Internet access provider, on-line service provider or other organization (e.g., business, educational, institution, etc.) that is responsible for assigning e-mail addresses for the domain associated with the submitted e-mail address.
15. RELEASE AND LIMITATIONS OF LIABILITY. BY PARTICIPATING IN THE CONTEST, ENTRANTS AGREE TO RELEASE AND HOLD HARMLESS THE SPONSOR AND ITS EMPLOYEES, OFFICERS, AND AGENTS (COLLECTIVELY, THE “RELEASED PARTIES”) FROM AND AGAINST ANY CLAIM OR CAUSE OF ACTION ARISING OUT OF PARTICIPATION IN THE CONTEST OR RECEIPT OR USE OF ANY PRIZE INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO: (A) ANY TECHNICAL ERRORS THAT MAY PREVENT AN ENTRANT FROM SUBMITTING AN ENTRY; (B) UNAUTHORIZED HUMAN INTERVENTION IN THE CONTEST; (C) ERRORS IN THE ADMINISTRATION OF THE CONTEST OR THE PROCESSING OF ENTRIES; (D) ANY CHANGES IN THIRD PARTY TERMS OF CONDITIONS; OR (E) INJURY, DEATH, OR DAMAGE TO PERSONS OR PROPERTY WHICH MAY BE CAUSED, DIRECTLY OR INDIRECTLY, IN WHOLE OR IN PART, FROM ENTRANT’S PARTICIPATION IN THE CONTEST OR RECEIPT OF ANY PRIZE. RELEASED PARTIES ASSUME NO RESPONSIBILITY FOR ANY ERROR, OMISSION, INTERRUPTION, DELETION, DEFECT, DELAY IN OPERATION OR TRANSMISSION, COMMUNICATIONS LINE FAILURE, THEFT OR DESTRUCTION OR UNAUTHORIZED ACCESS TO, OR ALTERATION OF, ENTRIES. RELEASED PARTIES ARE NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY PROBLEMS OR TECHNICAL MALFUNCTION OF ANY TELEPHONE NETWORK OR TELEPHONE LINES, COMPUTER ON-LINE SYSTEMS, SERVERS, OR PROVIDERS, COMPUTER EQUIPMENT, SOFTWARE, FAILURE OF ANY E-MAIL OR ENTRY TO BE RECEIVED BY SPONSOR ON ACCOUNT OF TECHNICAL PROBLEMS, HUMAN ERROR OR TRAFFIC CONGESTION ON THE INTERNET OR AT ANY WEBSITE, OR ANY COMBINATION THEREOF, INCLUDING ANY INJURY OR DAMAGE TO PARTICIPANT'S OR ANY OTHER PERSON'S COMPUTER RELATING TO OR RESULTING FROM PARTICIPATION IN THIS CONTEST OR DOWNLOADING ANY MATERIALS IN THIS CONTEST. THE SPONSOR IS A GOVERNMENTAL ENTITY ENTITLED TO CERTAIN IMMUNITIES PROVIDED BY LAW. ENTRANT AGREES THAT IN ANY CAUSE OF ACTION, THE RELEASED PARTIES’ LIABILITY WILL BE LIMITED TO THE COST OF ENTERING AND PARTICIPATING IN THE CONTEST, TO THE EXTENT OF ANY LIABILITY. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE RELEASED PARTIES BE LIABLE FOR ATTORNEY’S FEES. ENTRANT WAIVES THE RIGHT TO CLAIM ANY DAMAGES WHATSOEVER, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, PUNITIVE, CONSEQUENTIAL, DIRECT, OR INDIRECT DAMAGES.
16. COPYRIGHT. Sponsor and those acting with its authority, shall have the unrestricted, absolute, perpetual, worldwide right and license to use Entrant’s name, address, photograph, likeness, voice, biographical and personal background information, statements, Contest entry, and any writing, photo, video, or other work submitted as part of the Contest entry, and, without limitation, any notes, photograph, film, or video or audio tape that may be taken of Entrant or of such materials (the foregoing, collectively, the “Content”), without compensation, consideration, or notice or permission to Entrant or to any third party, and to reproduce, copy, modify, create derivative works of, display, perform, exhibit, distribute, transmit or broadcast, publicly or otherwise, or otherwise use and permit to be used the Content or any part thereof, whether alone or in combination with other materials (including but not limited to text, data, images, photographs, illustrations, and graphics, video or audio segments of any nature), in any media or embodiment now known or hereafter developed (including but not limited to any format of any computer-based, Internet-based, electronic, magnetic, digital, laser or optical-based media), in connection with any Sponsor (or its designee’s) advertising, promotion, publicity, trade, sweepstakes or contest promotions, activities, or materials.
17. GENERAL. By accepting a prize, where permitted by law, winner grants to the Released Parties and those acting pursuant to the authority of Sponsor and the Released Parties (which grant will be confirmed in writing upon Sponsor’s request), the right to print, publish, broadcast and use IN ALL MEDIA without limitation at any time the winner’s full name, portrait, picture, voice, likeness and/or biographical information for advertising, trade and promotional purposes without payment or consideration, and without review, approval or notification. IN NO EVENT WILL RELEASED PARTIES BE RESPONSIBLE OR LIABLE FOR ANY DAMAGES OR LOSSES OF ANY KIND (INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION, DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, CONSEQUENTIAL, OR PUNITIVE DAMAGES) ARISING OUT OF PARTICIPATION IN THIS CONTEST OR THE ACCEPTANCE, POSSESSION, USE, OR MISUSE OF, OR ANY HARM RESULTING FROM THE ACCEPTANCE, POSSESSION, USE OR MISUSE OF A PRIZE. BY PARTICIPATING, ENTRANTS RELEASE AND AGREE TO HOLD HARMLESS THE RELEASED PARTIES FROM ANY AND ALL LIABILITY FOR ANY INJURIES, DEATH OR LOSSES OR DAMAGES TO PERSONS OR PROPERTY AS WELL AS CLAIMS/ACTIONS BASED ON INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY OR PUBLICITY RIGHTS, DEFAMATION, AND/OR INVASION OF PRIVACY THAT MAY ARISE FROM PARTICIPATING IN THIS CONTEST OR ITS RELATED ACTIVITIES OR THE ACCEPTANCE, POSSESSION, USE OR MISUSE OF, OR ANY HARM RESULTING FROM THE ACCEPTANCE, POSSESSION, USE OR MISUSE OF A PRIZE. WINNER ACKNOWLEDGES THAT RELEASED PARTIES HAVE NEITHER MADE NOR ARE IN ANY MANNER RESPONSIBLE OR LIABLE FOR ANY WARRANTY, REPRESENTATION OR GUARANTEE, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, IN FACT OR IN LAW, RELATIVE TO ANY PRIZE.
19. DISPUTES. Except where prohibited, Entrants agree that any and all disputes, claims and causes of action arising out of, or connected with, the Contest or any prize awarded shall be resolved individually, without resort to any form of class action, and exclusively by a court of competent jurisdiction located in or having jurisdiction in Fort Bend County, Texas. All issues and questions concerning the construction, validity, interpretation and enforceability of these Official Rules, your rights and obligations, or the rights and obligations of Sponsor in connection with the Contest, shall be governed by, and construed in accordance with, the laws of the State of Texas, without giving effect to any choice of law or conflict of law rules (whether of the State of Texas or any other jurisdiction), which would cause the application of the laws of any jurisdiction other than the State of Texas.
20. Still have questions? Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for any questions regarding the “What I LOVE About Sugar Land” video submission contest.
When e-mailing, please make sure to include the words “video contest” in the subject line.